Justia Lawyer Rating
Super Lawyers
Avvo Client's Choice
Avvo 10
Lawyers of Distinction
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Expertise Badge

Moreno Valley Partition Lawyers

Moreno Valley is the second largest city in Riverside County, and was named Moreno, Spanish for brown. As a relatively new community, not incorporated until 1984, many citizens have flooded the area and ventured into joint ownership of property. Shared real estate ownership, however, sometimes leads to problems and headaches arising from disagreements between co-owners. In these times, speaking with a Moreno Valley Partition Lawyer is critical.

An experienced Moreno Valley Partition Attorney find partition actions to be the best remedy for fighting co-owners in four broad categories:

  • Split building dispute;
  • Brother-Sister building dispute;
  • Investor-Investor building dispute; and
  • Girlfriend-Boyfriend building dispute

In a partition sale, a knowledgeable Moreno Valley Partition Lawyer will be familiar with the procedure to sell the property. Code of Civil Procedure section 873.640 requires that the sale of property in a partition action has to occur in the same manner as property upon execution. The Court must provide notice to every party who has appeared in the action, and any other person who has requested special notice. (CCP § 873.640.) Generally, the failure to provide notice of the sale may be a ground to set aside the sale. (See Law Rev. Comm. Com to CCP § 873.640.) Additionally, the court can order more notice as it deems proper. (CCP § 873.640.)

An experienced Moreno Valley Partition Attorney will also know about the types of notice in a partition sale. For example, in certain types of partition sales, a judge can order a party to publish a classified advertisement. (see Law Rev. Comm. Com to CCP § 873.640.) Generally, a judge must specify the contents of the notice, including the property’s legal description, the time and place of the sale, and a statement of the principal terms of sale. Alternatively, the notice can refer to a court order or a written statement available at the referee’s location. (CCP § 873.650.) A notice of private sale must state a place where bids or offers will be received, and a day when the sale may be made. (CCP § 873.650.)

From the bigger perspective, the focus is on due process of law and protecting private property rights. Generally, courts jealously guard the interests of property owners and want to make sure that their rights are protected to the greatest extent possible. As such, when the statutory framework is viewed as an entirety, the statute that applies to partition sales is to ensure that members of the public receive notice and have an opportunity to bid on property during a partition sale, whether a sale at public auction or a private sale. (see Cummings v. Dessel (2017) 13 Cal.App.5th 589.)

For example, when a court adopts a hybrid procedure that combines partition by appraisal and partition by sale is not submitted by law. (see Cummings v. Dessel (2017) 13 Cal.App.5th 589.) Because the co-owners did not make the required agreement to have the property partitioned by appraisal, the procedure adopted by the court did not include the required direction for public posting or publication of the notice regarding sale, and was legally inadequate. (Id.) A knowledgeable Moreno Valley Partition Attorney will be familiar with these procedures.

Our Moreno Valley Partition Lawyers have dealt with hundreds of partition cases at the Underwood Law Firm. Our knowledgeable attorneys are ready to assist you in a complex situation.

Client Reviews
“We were in need of a real estate attorney. Eli Underwood provided excellent legal advice and services. He explained everything well and followed through with all important issues that needed attention. We found him to be reliable, courteous, patient and extremely professional. We highly recommend Mr. Underwood without any reservations.” I.S.
"I own a real estate investment company that operates across multiple states (California, Washington, Oregon, Montana, and more), whenever I run into an issue that needs legal attention, Eli is my first call. I've been working with him for years. He is an amazing attorney and I highly recommend him." Thank you for your help Sir!" T.W.
"Mr. Underwood is a fantastic Lawyer with extraordinary ethics. He responds quickly, which is rare these days, and he is very knowledgeable in his craft. It was a pleasure working with him and we will definitely use his services in the future if needed. Thank you for your help Sir!" M.O.
"Eli took our case and controlled every hurdle put before us. I one time commented to him that he must love his job because it seemed that he was always available. When talking about my case to anyone I always bring up where, I believe, the other parties Lawyer tried to take advantage of my wife and me. Eli stopped him in his tracks. On top of it being easy to work with Eli, it was a pleasure to have had him represent us. We were in good hands." E.T
"We were in need of an attorney with considerable knowledge of real estate law and the legal issues related to property ownership. Eli Underwood went above and beyond our expectations. In keeping us abreast of our suit, his communication skills were outstanding. This talent was especially demonstrated when dealing with the apposing counsel. We feel this gave us a tremendous advantage over the opposing party that resulted in us reaching a successful outcome. I would highly recommend Eli Underwood as we found him to be an exceptional attorney." P.B.
"In our need for legal services we found Eli to be well informed and on top of our case and our needs. Our's was not an ordinary case as it was a case with many facets. It was a very convoluted case. There were multiple owners involved in a property dispute where one of the owners sued the rest of the owners with a Partition Suit. Needless to say Eli was instrumental in helping us resolve our differences and gained us a profitable sale all with good end results for all. If you hire Eli Underwood you will not be disappointed!" M.A.