Justia Lawyer Rating
Super Lawyers
Avvo Client's Choice
Avvo 10
Lawyers of Distinction
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Expertise Badge

Concord Partition Lawyers

Concord is the largest city in Contra Costa County, California and was founded in 1869 as Todos Santos by Don Salvio Pacheco II, a noted Californio ranchero, but was changed to “Concord.” As one of the older cities in California, residents often find the need for a Concord Partition Lawyer to resolve joint ownership disputes.

A Concord Partition Attorney can handle a partition action, which is available as of right as to simultaneous interests in the property unless barred by a valid waiver. (CCP § 872.710(b)). The court, at either a contested or uncontested trial, determines whether the plaintiff has the right to partition. (see Assembly Legislative Committee Comment to Code Civ. Proc. § 872.710). There are at least four other scenarios where a Riverside Partition Lawyer can be helpful: 

  • Investor-Investor co-ownership of property; 
  • Boyfriend-Girlfriend co-ownership of property; 
  • Sibling-Sibling co-ownership of property; and
  • Parent-Child co-ownership of property

Notably, a co owner does not have to have any reason for his or her demand to partition; the only indispensable requirement is that a clear title be present. (De Roulet v. Mitchel (1945) 70 Cal.App.2d 120, 124). In order to make the determination that the plaintiff has the right to partition, the court must find that the plaintiff has an interest in the property sufficient to maintain the action. Additionally, the court must find the existence of any special conditions prerequisite to partition of interests in special types of property. (see Assembly Legislative Committee Comment to Code Civ. Proc. § 872.710). A Concord Partition Attorney can ensure that this is all done properly.

Partition as to successive estates in the property will be allowed if it is in the best interest of all the parties. A Concord Partition Lawyer can assist in demonstrating the relevant factors to the court to determine whether the possessory interest has become unduly burdensome because of (i) Circumstances under which the estates were created and change in the circumstances since creation of the estates; (ii) Expense of ordinary or extraordinary repairs; (iii) Taxes or other charges; (iv) the property’s character and any change in it since creation of the estates; and (v) All other factors that would be considered by a court of equity having in mind the intent of the creator of the successive estates and the interests and needs of the successive owners.

Concord was incorporated on February 5, 1905, and for a long time the area in the surrounding Ygnacio and Clayton Valleys was a large agricultural area. Crops that were grown included grapes, walnuts, almonds, wheat, hay, and even tomatoes. During Prohibition, many vineyards were removed and replaced with walnut orchards. Now, conveniently located near San Francisco and the world-renowned wine country, Concord has a bustling downtown area, a burgeoning arts and food scene, and beautiful surrounding landscapes of mountains, valleys, and vineyards.

At the Underwood Law Firm, our Concord Partition Lawyers are excellent resources for understanding your rights as a joint owner of real estate and are ready to assist your partition needs.

Client Reviews
“We were in need of a real estate attorney. Eli Underwood provided excellent legal advice and services. He explained everything well and followed through with all important issues that needed attention. We found him to be reliable, courteous, patient and extremely professional. We highly recommend Mr. Underwood without any reservations.” I.S.
"I own a real estate investment company that operates across multiple states (California, Washington, Oregon, Montana, and more), whenever I run into an issue that needs legal attention, Eli is my first call. I've been working with him for years. He is an amazing attorney and I highly recommend him." Thank you for your help Sir!" T.W.
"Mr. Underwood is a fantastic Lawyer with extraordinary ethics. He responds quickly, which is rare these days, and he is very knowledgeable in his craft. It was a pleasure working with him and we will definitely use his services in the future if needed. Thank you for your help Sir!" M.O.
"Eli took our case and controlled every hurdle put before us. I one time commented to him that he must love his job because it seemed that he was always available. When talking about my case to anyone I always bring up where, I believe, the other parties Lawyer tried to take advantage of my wife and me. Eli stopped him in his tracks. On top of it being easy to work with Eli, it was a pleasure to have had him represent us. We were in good hands." E.T
"We were in need of an attorney with considerable knowledge of real estate law and the legal issues related to property ownership. Eli Underwood went above and beyond our expectations. In keeping us abreast of our suit, his communication skills were outstanding. This talent was especially demonstrated when dealing with the apposing counsel. We feel this gave us a tremendous advantage over the opposing party that resulted in us reaching a successful outcome. I would highly recommend Eli Underwood as we found him to be an exceptional attorney." P.B.
"In our need for legal services we found Eli to be well informed and on top of our case and our needs. Our's was not an ordinary case as it was a case with many facets. It was a very convoluted case. There were multiple owners involved in a property dispute where one of the owners sued the rest of the owners with a Partition Suit. Needless to say Eli was instrumental in helping us resolve our differences and gained us a profitable sale all with good end results for all. If you hire Eli Underwood you will not be disappointed!" M.A.