Articles Tagged with partition lawsuits

underwood-liability-of-partition-referee-300x300Generally, when a trial court orders an interlocutory judgment directing a partition by sale, it can appoint a referee to conduct the sale (CCP § 873.010). However, when a party to the partition feels that they have been aggrieved by the actions of this court-appointed referee, they may bring an action against them.

When this occurs, the party may contend that the referee violated some fiduciary duties or committed some torts while performing the role appointed to them by the court. However, when a role is appointed by a court, the person holding that role may be entitled to what is known as quasi-judicial immunity. 

What is Quasi-Judicial Immunity?

underwood-blog-compensatory-adjustment-300x300The California Partition Law begins at Code of Civil Procedure section 872.010 and ends at Code of Civil Procedure section 874.323. Within the Partition Statute, section 872.140 clarifies the court’s power to make equitable compensatory adjustments.

Code of Civil Procedure section 872.140 states

The court may, in all cases, order allowance, accounting, contribution, or other compensatory adjustment among the parties according to the principles of equity. 

622023-300x300Partitions sales and trustee sales are two different ways that a property can be sold. A main difference between the two is that a partition sale is ordered and overseen by the court, while a trustee sale is overseen by a third party in relation to foreclosure proceedings. While the third party is not beholden to a court ruling in a trustee sale, they must still follow the procedures outlined in California law. 

The Partitions Sale Process

Usually, partition sales are ordered by a court. This is because partition lawsuits are often brought before courts by a property owner who wants to force a sale if the parties cannot come to an agreement. Read more about partition actions generally here

Contact Information